Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Keep Calm and Break A Leg





I was having quite the horrid day at University. It was just minutes before an onstage performance and my partner had left me in quite a jam. Fortunately, I used my frustration in my role to project a more genuine portrayal. The teacher seemed impressed so it was a weight off my shoulders.


Still, I was in good need of a pick up and trusty, beautiful Roxanne was there to lend a shoulder. We went out to a little cafe and blahhhed it all out. Who can stay frustrated when there's milkshakes, a great friend and Looney Tunes tissue boxes around?


Watching Somersault was intriguing to say the least. Another Australian film that followed Heidi, a 15 year old girl who ran away after breaking her mothers heart. The story serves as an 'inbetween' stage of getting herself back on her feet, with the help of distant and troubled Joe (Sam Worthington). I thought this was so experimental in the way director Cate Shortland played with colour and light. It was a little bleak storywise, but the visuals were simply artistic. Heidi is caught between the innocence of childhood as she carries a scrapbook with old cards and unicorn pictures. But by night, she goes to bars, drinks with strange men and generally wanders wherever they lead her. She's a drifter who matures in a short space of time as she transforms in a short amount of time.


Film Count: 64 out of 365

Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

Roxanne said...

totally need to watch that film. and how darling was the old man who served us at that cafe?

melissa said...

Wow !!
I love your blog. Reminds me of julie and julia. Have you watched that film? is that where you got the idea from ? Definately following your blog ! :)

April Skye said...

Thankyou so much Melissa, that's very charming of you to say and means a great deal :)
Glad you like what you see! <3

Take care hun

April Skye xx

Ruben Romero said...

I think you're on an aussie kick

April Skye said...

Variety is the spice of life ;)
Besides, many Australian people think that there isn't much cinematic talent in their own backyards. There's plenty if you look for it. Hopefully I've changed someones mind :)

April Skye xx

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online