Thursday, June 3, 2010

Life Lessons









This dapper little film charmed my socks off. Taking place in England in the 60's, An Education is of polished elegance lead by the graceful Jenny (Carey Mulligan). I am completely smitten with her beauty and drive to explore life outside of the confines of her cramped household and piles of schoolwork. As the title indicates, we follow Jenny through her preppy school days, dreaming of wonderful adventures in Paris when she is suddenly scooped up by a man nearly twice her age. He opens a world to her that evokes the senses - plush fashions, lavish restaurants, the socially elite with knowledge in music and art. What strikes me is the unique character of Jenny as the lead role. Tough, determined and wise beyond her years, she is a joy to watch. Forever questioning why people bother to settle for anything than the best, Jenny states it is our desires that keep us alive.


"If we don't do anything, we don't become anyone."


She is my hero.


Film Count: 65 out of 365

Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

The Taxi Driver said...

I liked this movie too but didn't love it. Something was missing but I can't quite put my finger on what. Love Emma Thompson's scenes though and hope Nick Hornby persues more screenwriting jobs.

Geneviève said...

I loved this film, yet something didn't sit quite well with me. It was lacking... goodness it was lacking something but I can't put my finger on what that something is. Either way, you have a lovely blog me dear. x

April Skye said...

Thanks for the compliment, Genevieve! :) very sweet of you indeed!

Hmm, in regards to the film, was it just me or was the ending rather rushed? It was barely 90minutes so i must admit, i felt a little bit robbed to have been cut short like that.

April Skye xx

linda said...

i really really really enjoyed this movie.

wrote about it somewhat here: http://linda.curious-notions.net/2010/03/why-you-should-go-to-the-movies-by-yourself-sometimes/


p.s. sorry for inundating you with comments! just loving your blog

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online